JESSICA LURIE Instrumentalist Composer Improviser Educator
PERFORMANCES, COMMISSIONS AND COLLABORATIONS:
• Cuore, Italy & Zagreb, with Zezelj and Molinelli,composer/performer,2011/2012
• The Golden Racket, NYC, Brooklyn, Bronx, Coney Island, NY, composer/performer, June 2011
• Griphon, La Fortezza, Montepuliciano Italy, multi-media,composer/performer June 2011
• Frames, Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum, multi-media, composer/performer April 2011
• Sukkos Mob with Great Small Works NYC, composer/performer, October 2010
• Once, Pisa, Italy & Zagreb, Croatia, July/August 2010 http://vimeo.com/17585531
• Once, Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum, multi-media, composer/performer June 2010
• ONCE with visual artist Danijel Zezelj, composer/performer, NYC Dec. 2009
• My Home Is Your Home, USA, Italy, Slovenia, Croatia; April – November 2009
• Free M.I.M with Johannes Steiner, Austria, May 2009
• Oily Nights with Danijel Zezelj, Napoli Comicon, Italy April 2009
• Oily Nights with Danijel Zezelj & Tiptons Saxophone Quartet, National Performance Network, Seattle Dec. 2008; San Francisco, July 2009.
• Dedicated to Chaos, multi-media with Danijel Zezelj, Italy, USA, Greece 2007
• The Rapture Project, Great Small Works Theatre Company. Composer/performer. Charlestown Working Theatre Nov. 2006, HERE Theatre, NYC Jan. 2007
• NOSOROG, multi-media performance, Judson Church, NYC Dec. 2006
• City Dreams, multi-media performance, Italy, October 2006
• High Roller: short film by Lochinvar Sturdy, composer 2006
• Cirkus Amok,: composer/arranger/performer. NYC September 2005-Present
• The Shop of Wild Dreams: multi-media performance, composer/performer, Seattle March 2006
• Paris of the Prairies: documentary film by Lochinvar Sturdy, composer, 2005
• PK & What Army Big Band: improvising 14 piece band, conductor, performer. Seattle, Nov. 2004-06
• 9/12, short film by Aric Mayer, composer, 2005• Flood! Double Helix Theater NYC, composer/ performer. June 2004
• The Big Ear Big Band: conductor, pieces for 14 musicians, Seattle, 2004 Flood! Double Helix Theater NYC, 2004
• The Hunger Artist with Danijel Zezelj, Artsedge Festival, 1996; USA, Italy and Croatia, 2004.
• Small Hands with Danijel Zezelj, Petikat.. Galeria, Zagreb, Croatia 2003; The Isabella Stuart Gardener Museum, Boston 2004 Reflex with Zezelj, Petikat, and Carlo Actis Dato at The Rock Festival of Beer, Italy; Lazareti Arts Festival, Croatia, 2003.
• Solitaria with Zezelj, Brooklyn, NY, Seattle, WA 2003
• Strong Coffee with Zezelj, Slipa Konfidenca, Croatian Intn’l Film Festival, 2002
• Mayakovsky’s Smile, co-created with Zezelj, Petikat, and 8 Zagreb musicians. ZKM National Theater, Zagreb, Croatia. 2001
• La Luce Azzurra , Co-created with Zezelj. Italy, 1998 Frosty Cricket, composer, The Young Composer’s Collective, Seattle. 1997
• The Blue Bouquet, Seattle Experimental Opera, 1997
• False Prophets (Or Just Dang Good Guessers) with Amy Denio, and The Shakin’ Ray Levis Society. On The Boards, Seattle and Diverse Works, Houston, 1996 The Bus Horn Concerto and Hurry Up and Wait, The Billy Tipton Memorial Sax Quartet, Seattle Artist Regional Transit Project. 1992 – 1993
• Sax House, Pat Grainey Dance Company, USA 1993-99
Private Music Instructor of flute, saxophone, piano and clarinet technique, voice, music theory, piano technique, improvisation and composition, NYC area, Seattle, WA, 1990 – Present
Music Teaching Artist for:
Orchestra St. Lukes, NYC, NY. 2007 – Present, leading and designing classes in music appreciation and composition in coordination with NY State school requirements for grades 3-5. Co-designed the Teaching Artist’s Music Composition Handbook, 2009 and ETSL reports 2009, 2010 grade 4 and 5.
Manhattan New Music Project, NYC, NY, 2007-2010, leading and assisting classes in saxophone, flute, clarinet and percussion technique, as well as music theory and composition.
Brooklyn Conservatory, Brooklyn, NY 2004-06.
Recent Workshops and Residencies:
• Yo! Poetry, combining student generated poetry, music and movement. Co-designed with dancer Carrie Stern, presented April-May 2009, March – May 2010 at PS 3, Brooklyn NY with a final performance by 28, grade 3 students.
• Improvisation and Conduction Workshops with The Tiptons Sax Quartet, Abermarle HS, Charlottesville, VA and U of T, Martin, Tennessee, Feb. 2010
• Visible Song, a two-week, collaborative summer workshop combining music composition and visual art created by middle school students. Co-designed by visual artist Danijel Zezelj, taught and presented July 2009,Seattle, WA. Sponsored by the Seattle Youth Arts & Culture grant.
• Compose Yourself, a 4 day workshop on improvisation and composition, with the Tiptons Sax Quartet, Italy, June 2009.
• Music Workshops: Designed and presented 8, 3 – 5 day, and 3 month workshop residencies in music technique, improvisation and composition to groups of 6-40 in the US (Seattle, WA; Milwaukee, WI, Brooklyn, NY) and Europe (Montepulciano, Acquaviva, Sarteanno, and Topolo, Italy; Zagreb, Croatia; Stainach, Austria). Age levels: elementary school to adult.
• Diversity Workshops: Co-designed/presented workshops addressing diversity issues and music in US college students with performer Dale Fanning. WA., OR., TX, 1996 – 2000
• Music To Dance To: program designer/performer with The Billy Tipton Memorial Saxophone Quartet, performed over 100 shows throughout Washington State Schools, Wash. State Arts in Education Program.1994-1996;1997-1999,2003 -05
• Women In Jazz: co-designer, performer with BTMSQ. Seattle,WA; Milwaukee, WI 1997
• Recycling/Waste Reduction: presented recycling, composting and waste reduction concepts to classrooms in the cities of Lynwood and Edmonds, WA, grades K-12; monthly compost workshop for Snohomish Co. residents. October 1992 – June 1996
GRANTS AND AWARDS RECEIVED FROM THE FOLLOWING:
• Brooklyn Arts Commission, BRIC grant, 2009, 2010
• Arts In Education Youth Arts Award, Seattle Arts Commission, 2008
• Sundance Film Composers Fellowship, 2006• Earshot Jazz Golden Ear Award, The Tiptons 2006
• Seattle Arts Commission/KCAC The Shop of Wild Dreams 2005
• Arts International Travel Grant, The Tiptons Sax Quartet 2005
• Jack Straw Individual Artist Recording Grant 2002
• Ministry of Culture, The Republic of Croatia, Grant for Mayakovsky’s Smile 2001
• Artslink International, CEC Partnership Grant, for Mayakovsky’s Smile 2000
• Earshot Golden Ear Award, Best Northwest Electric Band, Living Daylights 2000
• Artist Trust GAP Grant 1999
• King County Arts Comm. Special Projects Tonehole Music Festival 1998, 1999
• Seattle Arts Commission Individual Artists Award 1997
• Washington State Arts Comm., Music To Dance To, for BTMSQ 1994-96,1997-1999
• Arts International travel grant for BTMSQ 1997
• NEA grant False Prophets (Or Just Dang Good Guessers) 1996
• King County Arts Commission, Artist ‘s Project Regional Initiative Grant for False Prophets (Or Just Dang Good Guessers 1996
• Earshot Jazz Golden Ear Award, Living Daylights Trio 1995
• Artslink Collaborative Grant, BTMSQ and Ne Zhdali, Tallinn, Estonia, 1995.
• Arts Int’n’l Grant for BTMSQ, MIMI music festival, St. Martin deCrau, France 1995
• Artist Trust GAP Grant, Seattle, Women In Jazz 1993
• Seattle Metro Artist Regional Transit Project, The Bus Horn Concerto and Hurry Up & Wait, 1992, 1993
• Community Health Center, Middletown, CT, The Laws of Motion 1991
• Middletown, CT Commission On the Arts, Individual Artist Award 1991
• Seattle Arts Commission Individual Artist Award, In My Pocket 1990
SELECT RECORDINGSShop of Wild Dreams, Jessica Lurie Ensemble, 2009 // Laws of Motion, The Tiptons Saxophone Quartet, 2009 // Tiger!Tiger!, 2006 // Licorice & Smoke, Zipa!Music November 2005 // DRIVE The Tiptons Sax Quartet, 2006 // This Is What It’s Like To Be, Jessica Lurie & Andrew Drury Duo, 2005 // Tsunami TheTiptons Sax Quartet, 2004 // Brainstun 2, Brainstun, Present Sounds Recordings, 2003 // Night of The Living Daylights, Living Daylights, Zipa!Music 2003 // ?ZIPA BUKA!, The Jessica Lurie Ensemble, 2002 // School of One, Jessica Lurie & Will Dowd Duo, 2002 // Electric Rosary, Living Daylights, 2000 // Sunshine Bundtcake, The Billy Tipton Memorial Sax Quartet, 2000 // Motor Bison Serenade, 2000 // La Luce Azzurra, Jessica Lurie & Metroplizani, 1999 // 500 lb. Cat, Living Daylights, 1998 // Pollo d’Oro, BTMSQ and Ne Zhdali, 1998 // BOX, BTMSQ,1996// Falling Down Laughing, Living Daylights, 1995 // Imperfect World, Living Daylights, 1994 // make it funky god, BTMSQ, 1994 // Sax House, BTMSQ, Knitting Factory Works, 1992